Catalyst currently maintains offices located in Northern California and Connecticut. Our principals were among the first entrants in the brownfield redevelopment business and together have dozens of years of experience dealing with risk management and development of environmentally impaired real estate.
Michael McMullen – Principal
Mr. McMullen has over 20 years’ experience in all facets of brownfield redevelopment including senior positions in the environmental engineering, environmental insurance and brownfield development industries.
- Executive Vice President at brownfield development firm responsible for underwriting and managing acquisitions, development and divestiture or projects for the company.
- Principal at a national brownfield developer, where he managed west coast operations including acquisition, risk management and remediation of projects in California, Idaho and North Carolina
- Vice President in the Environmental Practice of Marsh Risk and Insurance Services
- Product Line Manager for Remediation Stop Loss and Complex Brownfield Projects for Zurich North America
- Senior environmental engineer with a ARCADIS with extensive experience in site remediation and guaranteed fixed price contracting
- Has been involved in the brownfields industry for his entire career – as a lender, developer, a broker and underwriter of environmental insurance and as an engineering consultant
- Has underwritten in excess of $500 million in environmental insurance policies in support of some of the first and most complex brownfields transactions completed in the United States
- Lead underwriter in developing comprehensive risk management programs for the Presidio of San Francisco, Charleston Naval Complex and the Mare Island Naval Shipyard
- Masters degree in Environmental Engineering from the University of Colorado
- Registered Professional Environmental Engineer (Colorado)
Stephen Parnes – Principal
- Vice President at a national brownfield redevelopment firm. Responsible for developing both real estate development and renewable energy projects.
- Managed the origination of projects including structuring, negotiating and closing acquisitions and then all development activities including zoning, design, permitting, pre-construction and construction activities.
- Worked with all governmental agencies throughout the development process and structured exit strategies and joint venture relationships.
- 20 years of real estate experience in the development of multi-family housing, hotel and industrial properties in the highest barriers to entry marketplaces in New York City and the surrounding tri-state areas of New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Identified development sites, negotiated contracts for their acquisition, conducted all facets of the due diligence process and prosecuted zoning/entitlement approvals into multi-family residential and commercial projects in both the urban and suburban environment. Overseen teams of lawyers, engineers and architects in the conceptualization of projects through the successful municipal and state approvals for land use and site plan approvals.
- Development projects include over 1,000 units of residential units and 250,000 SF of commercial space in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut markets.
- New York State Economic Development officer directly involved in the creation and implementation of the commercial revitalization of Harlem for the Empire State Development Corporation.
- Juris Doctorate from Benjamin Cardozo School of Law. Member New York State Bar.